Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Just Fun Little Picasso Dogz

Fifth graders are in the middle of a unit studying Paul Klee, Pablo Picasso, Joan Miro and Jasper Johns.  They just finished their Klee Math and their were some straggler finishers, so we did a fun little filler project I learned at my state fall conference in October.  A lady named Joy Taylor led us through this lesson, and it's just SO successful for everyone.  Because I had students in various stages of done-ness, I wrote the directions on the white board:

It's in past tense because I was saying "students who finished did this"
For my next two classes I didn't use past tense.

I even showed several of my classes the clip about abstract thought from Inside Out so they could see art history in action.  Here is some student work in progress:









Joy spent time with her classes looking at parts of dogs (hence the Picasso Dogz title) but as I've mentioned in previous posts, I tend to start things and get lost along the way, so some of my students missed the whole dog/animal part.  Which still worked out.



They're hilarious and fun and an easy, successful exercise leading to our next (big) Picasso project.

On an unrelated note (I'm all over the place lately), a fourth grader who's new to me is making this AMAZING background for her Frida Kahlo-inspired self portrait:


You're doing great, art teacher friends! Making a difference every single day.  Especially on those days that it seems like you're not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It