Friday, August 24, 2012

A Whole Full Week Under Our Belts

A whole week and a half done, and it truly feels like we've never left.  I thought I'd update the first grade painting lesson.  After our paintings were dry, I cut them in two.  When students returned we read Gertrude McFuzz by Dr. Seuss.  It's an old copy from my childhood that I colored all over.  The students are horrified that someone colored in the book and delighted to find out it was me ("You were a bad kid, Mrs. Fresia!").

This is exactly what my copy looks like, only mine is really beat up
 
After our reading, they then use crayons to draw a bird on one of their papers, and glue it to the other and draw a background.  Then we use REAL FEATHERS to make the tails (with first graders, it's like I told them they won the art lottery--they're seriously swooning at the news!)
Here are some pictures of work from yesterday and today, enjoy :-D
 A view of them as a group.
 
 Upclose with LOTS of feathers.  I don't limit them, I just let them use as many as they want.
 
 Bird with pill-berry vine from the book.
 
Love the personality of this one!
 
 
A little organizational note: I give them two colors per class (first day got yellow and green, second day got yellow and red, third day got white and blue).  It makes for a more interesting display AND it makes it easy to return work to the right class (unless you've got a class +, like me this year!)
 
As for everyone else:
Second grade is busy learning all about texture, real vs. implied and looking for texture in books we read and things we see everyday.  They should be done with their project in the next week or two, so I'll post some of those when they're done.
Third through sixth is busy working with big units, so they won't have as many projects, but they're really doing well.
Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh for a successful well under way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It