Sunday, August 19, 2012

Gettin' into the Groove

Well, as hard as it is to believe, the school year really is under way.  I worked on a new bulletin board before students arrived:



I wish I added a little bit more, but I was pressed for time. Kind of weird to do a real bulletin board fashioned after and on-line one. My plan is to change it to different artists throughout the year. 

In my classroom I've been busy giving kids the safety schpeil we have to give every year (fire/tornado/earthquake drills and other important procedures). Not only is it boring to repeat 20x, but I worried in previous years that I left important stuff out by the 15th time.  Last year I put all of it on Smart Notebook with recordings of my voice, interactive links,and student interactions (with the Smartboard). The students seem to respond very well to it. I know all the students are getting the same information and my voice is saved.Love love LOVE the Smartboard, it's really life changing!

I have to share an adorable story about a kindergarten student: I was giving the intro to the safety procedure Smartboard thing when he raised his hand and said "Hey, um, I don't know if you know this, but I don't like changing classrooms." Then he laid his head down and sobbed.  Heartbreaking, yet adorable all at the same time.  After we'd gone through procedures, we got out the smelly markers, smelled 'em, colored with 'em and he was happy as could be.  Cute little guy, I can already see he's going to be a keeper!

This coming week we'll all be diving into our projects and units and getting into art big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It