Monday, August 19, 2013

We're Really Back

Aaaaaa, the first full week back to school.  It's starting to get REAL 'round here.  I always forget how frantic the pace of school is until I'm back.  One 30 minute class followed by four 40 minute classes, quick lunch and plan (and pumping for the baby if you're me) and another three 40 minute classes per day make for a tight schedule!  I've taught for a few years now, and sometimes it's amazing what just hits you. For example, today while introducing fourth grade to our regional artists (George Caleb Bingham, Thomas Hart Benton and Grant Wood) I went ahead and showed them all three projects they'll be making.  In college, Dr. Smith always stressed to never show finished examples, (or they'll copy) so I always thought it was better to leave them with some mystery.  Not that the objectives weren't clear (they were, I hope).  Was it a real rule Dr. Smith was telling us about? Or just his own opinion?  I guess I'll find out.  Today I just thought it'd be better if they had some time to think about it.
Speaking and thinking of objectives I have to get better about posting my learning targets.  The posting of learning targets was a new thing for our district last year, and I'll be honest, I just get busy and forget.  I do think it's a great idea and goal to post them and refer to them with students, I just need to make a habit of it.  How to remember?  That's my real problem: I get so caught up in the lessons, preparing for the lessons, that it never enters my mind.  Looks like I'll be sticky noting it until I remember it.  I'll update in a couple of weeks and see if I got any better [spoiler alert: don't hold your breath].

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way, moving from SC to NC their learning objectives are so different... and I spend nights awake getting so excited about lessons, not really focusing on the objectives, I have got to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's like, I know the objectives, I tell them the objectives (OK, sometimes) . . . .I just need to make it a priority to POST and REFER to them.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It