Monday, December 15, 2014

Pattern Kandinsky Trees

I've seen many lessons using Kandinsky's work as a starting point, and I was having one of those don't-want-to-do-what-I-have-planned-for-kindergarten days and came  up with "I'll fold their papers into eight sections and then have them make a pattern--"




I really didn't know where it was going when it began, I just had them draw a pattern with marker and then color the background/white space with crayon.  Some were more elaborate than others:




We then made circles with crayon on 9 x 12 paper.  It gave me an excuse to drag out the ole' document camera (the one I've got from our library is really, really basic).  We drew/colored seven circles:



The next art period, we talked about Wassily Kandinsky, and I made a super basic Smart notebook lesson, that you can get here (it's just labeled "Kandinsky").  The first two times we spent too long talking and making a tree on the smart board so we didn't have enough time.  The final class I realized that if the students worked on their paper while someone was on the smart board, we got lots more done (once we got to the build-a-tree-with-lines part).  I do really like how they turned out:




It really turned out to be a great lesson for reinforcing patterns (that they're covering in their regular classroom), cutting/gluing (almost every kindergartner needs more practice on these skills) and using and manipulating parts to make a whole (ie using lines to "build" a tree).  Hooray for last minute lesson when I'm bored with the same old same old!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It